Pyramid of El Pueblito, Corregidora,Mexico
See the world in a new light:
Join or Renew your membership in NASS and receive your quarterly issues to The Compendium and keep up with sundial construction, history, and events.
Annual membership in the North American Sundial Society includes four issues of The Compendium, available in print, CD-R discs, or down-loadable digital editions. Since June 2010, the print edition comes in full color, while the CD-R and digital editions not only come in digital color, but from time to time offer software features and other bonus material not available in print. The Digital Compendium is available in PDF format by Internet download or on a CD-R disc sent via postal mail. PDF documents can be read using Adobe Reader® or other PDF applications such as PDF Complete. NASS membership and subscription can be made for one or two years, with North American and rest of world rates.
New Membership Rates
We offer 1 and 2 year subscriptions when you join or renew NASS membership. You may use PayPal with one of the following pull-down tabs with Compendium subscription option. If you do not want to use PayPal, download the subscription form (see below).
REMEMBER TO PROVIDE NAME, ADDRESS, and EMAIL
Or, you can use the membership form and pay US Dollars sent to NASS Vice President Art Paque or for those in the United Kingdom pay in GB Pounds sent to Graham Aldred. If paying by check, include your subscription option, address and email address: DOWNLOAD SUBSCRIPTION FORM BELOW
What information do we collect?
NASS collects the following personal data in line with the use purposes explained in a subsequent section:
- Your name, address and email contact address
- Registration and participation information for attendees of the NASS annual conference
How do we use your information?
NASS uses your personal information for the following purposes:
- Subscription transactions to receive the NASS journal The Compendium.
- Contact information provided by you to report new/existing sundials for the NASS Sundial Registry.
- Registration and participation information for the NASS annual conference.
- Authors making Email exchanges with the NASS editor for article publication in the NASS journal, The Compendium.
Processing Transactions: NASS uses PayPal for electronic transfer of funds and does not nor is able to collect financial information such as credit card number, expiration date, and CSC number. NASS does record name and amount tendered. Those paying for subscription by check are deposited in NASS bank accounts. NASS retains name, address, amount, and email address if provided.
Registration of Sundials: NASS may contact you to get more information about your reported sundial. This is to insure the quality of sundial information provided to the public on the NASS website sundial registry of dials in North America.
Participation in the NASS annual conference: Occasionally NASS will use your address to determine your approximate latitude for conference favors. It is normal for participants to register their conference dinner preferences.
Authoring of Compendium Articles: If you choose to submit an article for publication in The Compendium the NASS Editor exchange email with you and through email, may provide you a galley proof of the article. Author's name and contact information is published with The Compendium article.
What Information do we Retain?
Record Retention: NASS maintains a policy on Document Retention available on the NASS website at: http://www.sundials.org/index.php/home/policies-finance/227-policy-on-document-retention
What are my protections?
To protect NASS content and services: We may use your information to prevent potentially illegal activities and to enforce our terms and conditions. We also use a variety of technological systems to detect and address anomalous activity and to screen content to prevent abuse, such as spam. These efforts may, on occasion, result in a temporary or permanent suspension or termination of some functions for some users.
Personal data about minors and children: NASS does not knowingly collect data from or about children under 16 without the permission of parent(s)/guardian(s). If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under 16, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under age 16, please contact us.
Date : 20 May 2018
This site would not be possible without the following innovative software creations from folks around the work. To all, Thank You.
- Joomla! The free, open-source content management system (CMS) and application framework. We've chosen to use the Joomla 2.5 version because of the wide community support. This vibrant volunteer and commercial community makes this NASS Sundial website possible.
- Akeeba Backup is legendary and provides free administrative core tools for backup and restoration created by Nicholas K. Dionysopoulos. Many of us go back to the Amiga computer and "Kickstart" to boot up our system, and Akeeba provides a bootstrap way of quickly restoring backup files for site restoration. This provides one of several "safety nets" to ensure that the NASS Sundial site is always available
- Artisteer is a very powerful template builder for Joomla as well as for WordPress and other formats. We've used it to quickly build the NASS templates. The tools provide visual options and feedback to design and polish the website templates. The built-in functions of vertical menu drop, sliders. and responsive design for tablets and ipads is very professional. It is worth the investment.
- Attachments is a very useful component by Jonathan Cameron allowing pdf and other content to be attached to articles. The component and all plugins are installed in a single, easy step. This provides download material management to our members and the public.
- Black Rabbit Component Creator is a life saver, creating simple components that can then be expanded and tailored. After providing parameter information, the component is ready for download in 20 seconds! This easy-to-use tool is free, but donations are accepted and well worth it. To truly use Component Creator, knowing PHP and the Joomla Framework certainly helps
- ChronoForms is both a simple and powerful component to create a variety of form submissions that includes "captcha" protection and auto-email. Get the ChronoForms Joomla Cookbook from Packt Publishing.
- JCK is an powerful content editor for Joomla, providing many office-like functions that makes formatting and image insertion simple. Toggles between text and html views, allowing control over the text and image presentations. JCK comes as an easy to install package free under the GNU license. We've switched to JCK from JCE that produced an unresolvable "access to this resource is restricted" error preventing access to the image files bringing article production to a standstill. Joomla CK (JCK) solved our problems nicely.
- NetBeans, the (Java) Integrated Development Environment or IDE. Well, it works very well with PHP and has helped track down several elusive bugs in the development of the NASS Registry components. Thanks to all the NetBean code developers and to Oracle, who underwrites the cost. But we shall continue using PHP code and mySQL database.
- SigPlus Image Gallery by Levente Hunyadi provides a balance between simplicity and the ability to offer detailed sundial images... hundreds of them. SigPlus offers an impressive set of feature, including automatic thumbnail and gallery preview image creation. Images in a gallery folder can be displayed in fixed or flow layout, on a slider or carousel/rotator, or can blend using a fancy transition effect. Great software.
- AllVideos provides a simple but very effective way to incorporate a video and audio server, capable of displaying many different formats. Video of sundials is now a very important graphic medium. Thanks to all who make AllVideos.
- JW Player This is the heart of video serving and JW Player does it very well. Many configuration options for loading and displaying video.
- JoomlaMan Video Gallery While AllVideos is a great plugin for displaying a wide variety of video formats, we needed a solid video gallery. We tried many different Joomla video gallery applications, all of which had various glitches. Eventually we found that JoomlaMan Video Gallery solved our problems very nicely. It took some experimentation to find which video server codec JM Video Gallery used for displaying local content. Turns out the video format is AVC(H.264) with AAC audio at 44100 Hz.
The North American Sundial Society operates with transparency. Attached are Statement of Financial Position and Statement of Financial Activity and filings with the Internal Revenue Service and the State of Maryland, where the North American Sundial Society is incorporated.
Our current NASS Officers are:
Editor & President
Editorial matters, Address changes
Frederick W. Sawyer III
27 Ninas Way - Hampton Run
Manchester CT 06040-6388
Membership concerns, Committees
4229 South Coventry Court
New Berlin, WI 53151-6146
4-7059 Ash Crescent
Vancouver, BC V6P 3K6 Canada
Financial matters, Currency
311 Water Tower Drive
Chesterton, IN 46304
Each year two of the four NASS officers are up for election and NASS members may propose candidates by writing to the Nominating Committee by July 1st. If the slate of candidates is uncontested, the Nominating Committee announces the result, traditionally done at the Annual General meeting held during the NASS Sundial Conference in the late summer of each year. If there are multiple candidates for a given office, then the election is done by mail to all members.
NASS Dial Registrar
4229 South Coventry Court
New Berlin, WI 53151-6146
Robert L. Kellogg
10629 Rock Run Drive
Potomac, MD 20854-1701
Robert L. Kellogg
10629 Rock Run Drive
Potomac, MD 20854-1701
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small field of letters and numbers that we temporarily store on your browser and will be remembered by your computer and stored on your hard drive.
What does our cookie do?
- Provide an anonymous code to distinguish you from other users
- Remember website settings such as font sytle, font size, and primary lanuage
- Temporarily use technical information such as browser and operating system to format window content
- Improve the speed of paging through our website and to anonymously record volume of data transferred
- Increase security by reducing the potential of hacks
Is our cookie safe?
We do not use tracking cookies nor targeting cookies for advertising. We do log the pages visited and articles selected as part of our evaluation of analytic performance. Our server logs the number of visits per hour and network domains (.net, .com, .uk, etc.) Here is an example of the long term visit statistics we keep at www.sundials.org
How to protect yourself from malicious cookies
When you transfer to an outside website, you are leaving the NASS domain, and NASS information management policies no longer apply. NASS encourages you to read the privacy statement of each external website that you visit before you provide any personal data. Some of those sites may have tracking cookies that NASS does not control.
It may be that your concerns of cookies relate to so called "spyware" and "tracking". Rather than switching off cookies in your browser you may find that anti-spyware software achieves the same end by automatically deleting cookies considered to be invasive. Anti-spyware software is available from sources such as Spy Bot - Search and Destroy and Norton-Symantec. Cookie management extensions for the Firefox browser (highly recommended) that destruct cookies after browsing sessions are available at Mozilla Firefox Addons.
The North American Sundial Society is an association of people from a wide variety of disciplines who are interested in the study, development, history, and preservation of sundials.
NASS formed over 20 years ago to bring together sundial enthusiasts from North American and around the world. NASS started in 1994 when a small group of sundial enthusiasts found each other on the Internet and began a discussion of their interest in sundials. The concept of an international society originated with Ross McCluney, a research scientist at the Florida Solar Energy Center. He was joined by Frederick W. Sawyer III, an internationally recognized expert on the history, mathematics, and scientific concepts of sundials and by Robert Terwilliger CMC, a Master Clockmaker with experience in antique sundials and computer programs for sundial creation.
These three individuals founded the North American Sundial Society and became its first officers. Ross served as President, Fred as Editor of the NASS Quarterly Journal The Compendium and Bob as Secretary and Treasurer.
Today you have an opportunity to join NASS and learn about the history, design and constructions of sundials and meet a unique group of dialists at our annual meeting. NASS publishes the The Compendium, a quarterly journal that keeps you informed about sundials, their features, histories and their mathematics. The Compendium is published in both print and digital formats. The content is essentially the same, but the digital version occassionally includes software and features of interest to computer users.
In addition to The Compendium, NASS offers dialing resources such as The Repository of all back issues of The Compendium, additional dialing articles, software, and reprints of a number of historical books about sundials and gnomonics.
The North American Sundial Society
Publications Order Form
Print this form or include the necessary information with your order
|Digital Publications on CD|
|I Foster - The Art of Dialling (1638/1675)||$10||£6|
|II Foster - Posthuma Fosteri (1652)||$10||£6|
|III Emerson - Dialling (1770)||$12||£7|
|IV Clerke - The Spot-Dial (1687)||$7||£4.50|
|V Strode - A New And Easie Method To The Art Of Dyalling (1688)||$10||£6|
|VI Sturmy - The Art Of Dialling By The Gnomical Scale (1679)||$8||£5|
|VII Foster - Elliptical, Or Azimuthal Horologiography (1654)||$15||£9|
|VIII Jacques Ozanam - A Treatise of Gnomonicks (1712)||$15||£9|
|All 8 ShadowCatcher volumes||$60||£35|
|ShadowCatchers are also available in softbound (perfect binding) printed volumes Online Store|
|NASS Repository (Includes all back issues of The Compendium)||$30||£18|
|NASS Repository Update (Original CD must be returned)||$15||£9|
|Gunella – Analemmas||$15||£9|
|Payment for non-US$ or GB£ Purchases.||Total|
Payment may still be made by mail in either U.S. dollars or British pounds. U.S. dollar checks must be drawn on a U.S. bank - or a bank with a U.S. office and routing number - and should be payable to NASS. British pound cheques should be payable to NASS UK. Include a listing of the items ordered.
Mail USD orders to
27 Ninas Way - Hampton Run
Manchester CT 06040-6388 USA.
GBP orders to
4 Sheardhall Avenue, Disley,
Stockport SK12 2DE UK.