What information do we collect?
NASS collects the following personal data in line with the use purposes explained in a subsequent section:
- Your name, address and email contact address
- Registration and participation information for attendees of the NASS annual conference
How do we use your information?
NASS uses your personal information for the following purposes:
- Subscription transactions to receive the NASS journal The Compendium.
- Contact information provided by you to report new/existing sundials for the NASS Sundial Registry.
- Registration and participation information for the NASS annual conference.
- Authors making Email exchanges with the NASS editor for article publication in the NASS journal, The Compendium.
Processing Transactions: NASS uses PayPal for electronic transfer of funds and does not nor is able to collect financial information such as credit card number, expiration date, and CSC number. NASS does record name and amount tendered. Those paying for subscription by check are deposited in NASS bank accounts. NASS retains name, address, amount, and email address if provided.
Registration of Sundials: NASS may contact you to get more information about your reported sundial. This is to insure the quality of sundial information provided to the public on the NASS website sundial registry of dials in North America.
Participation in the NASS annual conference: Occasionally NASS will use your address to determine your approximate latitude for conference favors. It is normal for participants to register their conference dinner preferences.
Authoring of Compendium Articles: If you choose to submit an article for publication in The Compendium the NASS Editor exchange email with you and through email, may provide you a galley proof of the article. Author's name and contact information is published with The Compendium article.
What Information do we Retain?
Record Retention: NASS maintains a policy on Document Retention available on the NASS website at: http://www.sundials.org/index.php/home/policies-finance/227-policy-on-document-retention
What are my protections?
To protect NASS content and services: We may use your information to prevent potentially illegal activities and to enforce our terms and conditions. We also use a variety of technological systems to detect and address anomalous activity and to screen content to prevent abuse, such as spam. These efforts may, on occasion, result in a temporary or permanent suspension or termination of some functions for some users.
Personal data about minors and children: NASS does not knowingly collect data from or about children under 16 without the permission of parent(s)/guardian(s). If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under 16, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under age 16, please contact us.
Date : 20 May 2018
Pyramid of El Pueblito, Corregidora,Mexico
See the world in a new light:
Join or Renew your membership in NASS and receive your quarterly issues to The Compendium and keep up with sundial construction, history, and events.
Annual membership in the North American Sundial Society includes four issues of The Compendium, available in print, CD-R discs, or down-loadable digital editions. Since June 2010, the print edition comes in full color, while the CD-R and digital editions not only come in digital color, but from time to time offer software features and other bonus material not available in print. The Digital Compendium is available in PDF format by Internet download or on a CD-R disc sent via postal mail. PDF documents can be read using Adobe Reader® or other PDF applications such as PDF Complete. NASS membership and subscription can be made for one or two years, with North American and rest of world rates.
New Membership Rates
We offer 1 and 2 year subscriptions when you join or renew NASS membership. You may use PayPal with one of the following pull-down tabs with Compendium subscription option. If you do not want to use PayPal, download the subscription form (see below).
REMEMBER TO PROVIDE NAME, ADDRESS, and EMAIL
Or, you can use the membership form and pay US Dollars sent to NASS Vice President Art Paque or for those in the United Kingdom pay in GB Pounds sent to Graham Aldred. If paying by check, include your subscription option, address and email address: DOWNLOAD SUBSCRIPTION FORM BELOW
The North American Sundial Society operates with transparency. Attached are Statement of Financial Position and Statement of Financial Activity and filings with the Internal Revenue Service and the State of Maryland, where the North American Sundial Society is incorporated.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small field of letters and numbers that we temporarily store on your browser and will be remembered by your computer and stored on your hard drive.
What does our cookie do?
- Provide an anonymous code to distinguish you from other users
- Remember website settings such as font sytle, font size, and primary lanuage
- Temporarily use technical information such as browser and operating system to format window content
- Improve the speed of paging through our website and to anonymously record volume of data transferred
- Increase security by reducing the potential of hacks
Is our cookie safe?
We do not use tracking cookies nor targeting cookies for advertising. We do log the pages visited and articles selected as part of our evaluation of analytic performance. Our server logs the number of visits per hour and network domains (.net, .com, .uk, etc.) Here is an example of the long term visit statistics we keep at www.sundials.org
How to protect yourself from malicious cookies
When you transfer to an outside website, you are leaving the NASS domain, and NASS information management policies no longer apply. NASS encourages you to read the privacy statement of each external website that you visit before you provide any personal data. Some of those sites may have tracking cookies that NASS does not control.
It may be that your concerns of cookies relate to so called "spyware" and "tracking". Rather than switching off cookies in your browser you may find that anti-spyware software achieves the same end by automatically deleting cookies considered to be invasive. Anti-spyware software is available from sources such as Spy Bot - Search and Destroy and Norton-Symantec. Cookie management extensions for the Firefox browser (highly recommended) that destruct cookies after browsing sessions are available at Mozilla Firefox Addons.
North American Sundial Society
The North American Sundial Society (NASS) is a not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) organization registered in the state of Maryland. Not-for-profits are able to receive federal and state tax- exempt status. This means NASS is not required to pay federal or state income taxes during the fiscal year. To receive tax-exempt status, NASS must:
- Operate exclusively for the purposes set forth in the NASS charter.
- None of the NASS funds may inure to any individual.
- NASS cannot attempt to influence legislation nor participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.
To ensure that NASS provides sufficient transparency, checks and balances, we will conduct all of our business in conformance to the following:
- NASS operation is done transparently amongst all board members via email exchanges wherein NASS operations are discussed and, when necessary, voted upon by the board. Emails of the board transactions are maintained by the Secretary. The Annual General Meeting is held in accordance with NASS By Laws, with minutes of proceedings recorded and formally approved by the board. Minutes of the Annual General Meeting are published to all NASS members.
- The Annual General Meeting is held in accordance with NASS By Laws, with minutes of proceedings recorded and formally approved by the board. Minutes of the Annual General Meeting are published to all NASS members.
- NASS fiduciary responsibilities are distributed amongst the board and are transparent. Subscription income designated to the society is received by the Membership chair. Income is forwarded to the Treasurer for deposit in NASS accounts. The Treasurer also reviews on-line payment systems (e.g. PayPal) to ensure transactions match NASS bank account transfers. Receipt and transfer of funds are announced via email. Subscriptions are confirmed by the Vice President..
- All legitimate expenses by members on behalf of NASS are recorded by the Treasurer and verified by retained documentation. Monthly summaries of financial transactions are electronically published to all Board members. The Treasurer makes the financial books of NASS available to members and the public upon request. Statements of Financial Position are published in accordance with By Laws and are presented yearly at the Annual General Meeting and published to all NASS members.
This policy shall be reviewed annually.