Sundial: 767
State/Province:  Newfoundland Country:  Canada
Dial Type:  Horizontal Dial Condition:  Fair
  Latitude and Longitude: 47° 44.483' N  53° 13.367' W
  • St. James Anglican Church
    13 Bond Street
  • A 10 inch diameter horizontal bronze dial with engraved nomenclature. Hour numerals 4 AM to 6 PM are Roman; ten minute numerals are Arabic and two minute marks are shown. Minute numerals are engraved in sequence 60, 20, 40, 60. Face engravings include EOT dates, "WATCH FASTER" and "WATCH SLOWER" and a central compass rose.

    Dial was presented to the Anglican Church by Mrs. Hoyles, wife of Rev. William J. Hoyles who served St. James from 1852 to 1878.

    The following appeared in Carbonear Notes on March 29th 1899: "Some mischievous persons defaced the sun dial in the Church of England cemetery by cutting several notches across the head of it. This dial was erected in the centre of the first old church site and was presented by the esteemed wife of the late Rev. W. J. Hoyles, about 30 years ago. It is to be hoped that the perpetrator will be brought to justice for the sacrilege."

    Dial is supported on a fluted circular cast iron pedestal.
General Information:
  • Owner: St. James Anglican Church
  • Designer:
  • Builder: John Warner & Sons, London, England
  • Construction Date: July 7, 1871

Last Revised: 6/9/2013 11:52