This site would not be possible without the following innovative software creations from folks around the work. To all, Thank You.
- Joomla! The free, open-source content management system (CMS) and application framework. We've chosen to use the Joomla 2.5 version because of the wide community support. This vibrant volunteer and commercial community makes this NASS Sundial website possible.
- Akeeba Backup is legendary and provides free administrative core tools for backup and restoration created by Nicholas K. Dionysopoulos. Many of us go back to the Amiga computer and "Kickstart" to boot up our system, and Akeeba provides a bootstrap way of quickly restoring backup files for site restoration. This provides one of several "safety nets" to ensure that the NASS Sundial site is always available
- Artisteer is a very powerful template builder for Joomla as well as for WordPress and other formats. We've used it to quickly build the NASS templates. The tools provide visual options and feedback to design and polish the website templates. The built-in functions of vertical menu drop, sliders. and responsive design for tablets and ipads is very professional. It is worth the investment.
- Attachments is a very useful component by Jonathan Cameron allowing pdf and other content to be attached to articles. The component and all plugins are installed in a single, easy step. This provides download material management to our members and the public.
- Black Rabbit Component Creator is a life saver, creating simple components that can then be expanded and tailored. After providing parameter information, the component is ready for download in 20 seconds! This easy-to-use tool is free, but donations are accepted and well worth it. To truly use Component Creator, knowing PHP and the Joomla Framework certainly helps
- ChronoForms is both a simple and powerful component to create a variety of form submissions that includes "captcha" protection and auto-email. Get the ChronoForms Joomla Cookbook from Packt Publishing.
- JCK is an powerful content editor for Joomla, providing many office-like functions that makes formatting and image insertion simple. Toggles between text and html views, allowing control over the text and image presentations. JCK comes as an easy to install package free under the GNU license. We've switched to JCK from JCE that produced an unresolvable "access to this resource is restricted" error preventing access to the image files bringing article production to a standstill. Joomla CK (JCK) solved our problems nicely.
- NetBeans, the (Java) Integrated Development Environment or IDE. Well, it works very well with PHP and has helped track down several elusive bugs in the development of the NASS Registry components. Thanks to all the NetBean code developers and to Oracle, who underwrites the cost. But we shall continue using PHP code and mySQL database.
- SigPlus Image Gallery by Levente Hunyadi provides a balance between simplicity and the ability to offer detailed sundial images... hundreds of them. SigPlus offers an impressive set of feature, including automatic thumbnail and gallery preview image creation. Images in a gallery folder can be displayed in fixed or flow layout, on a slider or carousel/rotator, or can blend using a fancy transition effect. Great software.
- AllVideos provides a simple but very effective way to incorporate a video and audio server, capable of displaying many different formats. Video of sundials is now a very important graphic medium. Thanks to all who make AllVideos.
- JW Player This is the heart of video serving and JW Player does it very well. Many configuration options for loading and displaying video.
- JoomlaMan Video Gallery While AllVideos is a great plugin for displaying a wide variety of video formats, we needed a solid video gallery. We tried many different Joomla video gallery applications, all of which had various glitches. Eventually we found that JoomlaMan Video Gallery solved our problems very nicely. It took some experimentation to find which video server codec JM Video Gallery used for displaying local content. Turns out the video format is AVC(H.264) with AAC audio at 44100 Hz.
The North American Sundial Society By-Laws were approved in May, 1997. The By-Laws constitute the code of rules adopted by NASS for the regulation and management of its affairs:
ARTICLE I - Introduction
Definition of By-Laws - These by-laws constitute the code of rules adopted by the North American Sundial Society, Incorporated (hereinafter referred to as NASS or the Society) for the regulation and management of its affairs.
Purposes and Powers - The purposes of the Society, as incorporated, shall be as follows
- To promote interest in and educate about sundials, both past and present, in North America and
- To provide mechanisms for the exchange of information about sundials and sundial design (dialing) between Society members and with other sundial societies around the world;
- To encourage and assist in the design and construction of sundials, either for public display or personal use;
- To publish a society newsletter or journal, distributed free of charge to members and for nominal cost to nonmembers;
- To locate and catalog existing or historical sundials, and where necessary and desirable to assist in their restoration.
Acceptance of Terms Through Use
While using NASS sundials.org, (referred to as the "Site"), you agree to have read and accepted all the information on this page. BY USING THIS SITE, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND AGREE TO THESE TERMS. NASS may revise these terms from time to time. If you continue to use our Site after we post changes to these terms, it will mean that you accept such changes.
This Site is created and maintained by the North American Sundial Society (NASS). NASS maintains this Site for your personal, educational, non-commercial purposes. NASS reserves the copyright to this publication and, except where otherwise noted, all pages, photographs, text, and graphics, including the NASS logo (collectively called “Content”) on this web site are the property of NASS.
Nonexclusive rights to republish individual articles are granted to the authors of the articles and to any not-for-profit organization dedicated to the study of sundials and science education, provided the republication includes a full bibliographic reference to its original NASS publication and a notice of the North American Sundial Society's copyright. This right to republish does not extend to material for which NASS is not the copyright holder.
Contributors who submit material already subject to copyright are responsible for appropriate identification of such copyright and for obtaining permission to publish.
Links posted by NASS sundials.org
The NASS Site contains links to other sites. NASS is not responsible for any content that appears on these linked sites.
NASS Sundial Registry
This Site may include forms for registering sundials of North America. In using this interactive service, you agree that you will not post, transmit, or otherwise distribute or facilitate distribution of any content that:
- Is unlawful, harassing, defamatory, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, or tortious, contains content of a sexual nature, or uses vulgar language;
- Victimizes, harasses, or intimidates an individual or group of individuals on the basis of religion, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, age, or disability;
- Infringes on the intellectual property or other proprietary right of any party;
- Constitutes unauthorized or unsolicited advertising, junk or bulk email, spam mail, chain letters, or any other form of unauthorized solicitation;
- Contains software viruses, worms, or any other computer code, files, or programs that are designed or intended to disrupt or damage any software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment or to obtain unauthorized access to any third party data or other information.
NASS reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to remove any content that, in NASS's judgment, does not comply with the foregoing rules, or is otherwise objectionable, inappropriate, or inaccurate. NASS is not responsible for any failure or delay in removing such content.
Purchases by Minors
By ordering a product (books, article reprints, The Compendium, etc.) online from NASS, you represent that you are 18 years of age or older. If a child under the age of 18 has ordered a product from NASS without parental permission, the parent or guardian may return the product in accordance with the refund policy.
You shall be responsible for the payment of all sales, use, and other similar taxes relating to any online purchase of any product from NASS.
The NASS Site is provided without warranty of any kind. There are no guarantees that use of the site will not be subject to interruptions. NASS makes every endeavor to provide a virus free environment, but all direct or indirect risk related to use of the Site is borne entirely by the user. All Content provided by NASS is provided without warranties to performance, fitness, merchantability, and/or any other warranty (whether expressed or implied).